Safety in My Home
There are many things that a woman can do to increase safety in her home. It may be impossible to do everything at once, but safety measures can be added step by step.
1. I can inform ___________________ that my partner no longer resides with me and they should call the police if he is seen at my residence.
2. I can change the locks on my doors and windows as soon as possible.
3. I can replace wooden doors with steel/metal doors.
4. I can install security systems including additional locks, window bars, poles to wedge against doors, an electronic system, etc.
5. I can purchase rope ladders to be used for escape from second floor windows.
6. I can install smoke detectors and purchase fire extinguishers for my home.
7. I can install an outside lighting system that lights up when a person is coming close to my house.
8. I can teach my children how to use the telephone, in case my partner takes them, to make a collect call to me and ___________________ (friend/advocate/minister/other.)
9. I can tell people who take care of my children which people have permission to pick up my children and that my partner does not have permission. The people I will inform about this are:
___________________________ (day care)